OK. After the discussions on this thread about adding compression to a wood auger by welding material into the root of the auger to create the compression zone, I came up with an alternate idea to use the wood auger as the basis for a machine to make an extruder screw from scratch. I thought I would start a new thread rather than taking the existing thread any further off-topic.
To recap, the reasoning behind my idea was that the pitch of the wood auger is already acceptable as it has already been proven to work, so instead of trying to use a wood auger itself as the extruder screw, it could be used as the basis for a machine to make an extruder screw instead…
Having already looked into making an extruder screw in my machine shop, I realised that that manufacture of an extruder screw is not easily possible without some form of NC machine, which is not something that is accessible to a majority of the wider PP community. Even with the machinery I have at my disposal I could not make a screw without first making some form of machine or machine aid.
So if it was possible to make a simple machine, to make a better extruder screw, from widely available materials with hand tools, then it would help to improve the efficiency and quality of extruder output for the wider PP community.
The basic proposal is to use the wood auger as the transport mechanism (lead screw) along with a grinder following a profile template to make an extruder screw that has a compression and metering zone. I outlined my ideas on how this might be achieved here. Of course, there are also many other ways to achieve the same, and the purpose of this thread is to explore how this might be made to work and to provide a place to collaborate and document development.
I have started to gather materials to make a prototype and should have a basic first-blush together over the next week or so.
Please feel free to continue the conversation already started on the previous thread, and also contribute with ideas, critiques and your own creations.