Financial Support from Companies

Hi everyone, greetings from South Africa.

This is such a great initiative.

Cleaning up the planet of plastic is a gigantic task, but we can start in our communities.

The great thing about this initiative is that it helps communities clean up their own environment while creating jobs.

In my community we are looking at a joint effort by several individuals to make sure that we do not duplicate but complement our efforts.

We are going to approach the corporations that put the plastic out there in the first place such as Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Nestlé, Danone, Mondelez International, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Perfetti van Melle, Mars Incorporated and Colgate-Palmolive or their local representatives for financial support.

This approach is not to point fingers nor to allocate blame.

It is to ask these companies to help us correct the wrongs of the past.

We have all done things in our past that have caused damage to the environment and to other beings that share this planet with us.

But today, we know better.

The financial support from the companies will be used to sponsor clean-up (collecting plastics and other garbage) projects and to set up recycling initiatives in our community. This will include recycling collection and sorting centres and setting up container “factories” such as the ones shown on this site.

I am putting together a business plan in the form of a PowerPoint presentation which I will share on this site.

I will also share all relevant information gained from our experience in presenting to these companies.

thank, sharing will help a lot, especially if you can get a receipt like this. let me try getting some ready-to-use material from customers who made this work (nestle in curacao). i am sure we PP Eindhoven is eager to put this into the publicly available and extendable library of the PP portfolio/website.

I don’t see how avoiding collaboration with the plastic and packaging industries helps solve the problem. Take two simple improvements. If for example very plastic piece is marked and labels switch to something easily removed. This would make the recycling process much more effective. Much progress can be made with targeted, pragmatic changes developed through some collaboration.

In the US, we’ve developed an activist profession with activities such as boycotts aimed primarily at fundraising rather than progressing towards a solution. Ironically, some of the funding comes from people who fly in private jets to activities that are stated to raise awareness.

Having worked in corporations for a long time, I don’t remember seeing any of the alleged fire-eyed two headed demons in any of the  meetings I attended. Most of the people live on the same planet and drink the same water.

@tonicho, i received response from partners in Curacao; there is material on the way; things are little slow there but it should arrive by the end of the week; it’s an interesting case-study as far i recon.

ok, so back to square one; working out a copy & paste template for potential collaboration and sponsorship with small business.

thanks Donald, that was very helpful. do you have hints or feedback on the offered questionnaire/interview material ? eventually you find the memos of the meetings you had back. from what i understood; you’re suggesting to sabotage (incl. your fellows working there next door) instead of seeking solutions, dialog as well opportunities for PP, is that also correct ?

please mind the difference between small business and global corporations.
g

not sure i understood; so you’re basically saying that all dutch companies refuse any kind of sponsorship and potential collaboration with PP Eindhoven or the project itself; is that correct? In this case I add this to the dossier as you say, ‘Netherlands : fail’. I am also not sure what exactly you have asked or offered. Would be great to add this details to a page as the OP (and us) is looking for exactly this material. In such case, we actually refine the interview and offers so we can try again better elsewhere. And on the subject ‘good food meets Netherlands’ i make a cross as well. ok, np 🙂 Let me remind you; here and in France (and others i don’t know of) are small companies with higher ethical values and awareness but unable to change to some degree.
g

As the OP already described and we all know it’s best to tackle the problems at the root, I’ve got an rough idea to get the subject a little further. I am preparing interviews with small 2 companies. One with a packaging solution provider/distributor and one with a small but international food company next door. Other than just asking for money, I think this could go in different directions, thinking of classical sponsorship and/or establish communication. For now the following questions come to mind and I am sure the courtesy of some here can contribute to the subject.

1. are there ways to retrieve waste plastic (typically already sorted and cleaned) from them
2. what other packaging solutions could be considered, what are the problems, what are the numbers, how far is the awareness about plastic pollution in such companies, etc…
3. would they consider artisan products/solutions from non-companies like small local associations? and if not, what could be done (certification,…)

4. would they accept tours to show how things work

the idea is also to create a sort of ‘plastic hub’; a gateway for plastic itself but possibly also solutions for small enterprises; some of them have the awareness and willingness to change things; let’s have a look what the problems actually are.

Having that said; the new PP platform could provide easily a proper business / contact / service / user space / project directory with a few tweaks this could be also smart data solution, contributing to ideas and projects.

ok, np. let me make it easy forya. As often I take @s2019’s remarks on the subject granted; one of the rare members we have here I wouldn’t even bother to challenge his judgement on the subjects; in 99.1 % of the cases:-)

so for now we have indeed a top level prove of concept, potential labour and opportunities for PP as project but also for the community trying to help. For now I gonna ignore the miles to go ahead and focus how the first contacts may look like:

– present in short PP with all it’s possibilities, metrics and known performance
– figure out what could be a win win game
– figure out new variants of plastic usage, baring in mind limitations and constraints of the very partnership

For now, we’re seeking as said for a template which can go into the PP library, able to be modified to local modalities and other constraints.

I know I can say a lot of stupid things – all day long – and so if you have things to add, please shoot now; I reserved 2 days for this activity this week.

i think it’s the minimum you could do with a project on thin ice like this ; setting up a few basic services as a bazar and forum is done in a few days; 2 weeks at max. it isn’t much about generosity; especially considering the resources available to them by now to turn this quickly into something more serious; i can do this over a week myself;

the bazar is indeed no base to build a business model (takes ages); in both cases , machines and plastic; considering the misfortune of our selfs and the clients who tried their best, believing some of the public statements …

considering mostly a few one-off and random sales, it reduces the target audience down to a few being able to get a product on a public market; i see no other choice than building the platform in a way that the community can actually solve problems together, create products, get them out together …. and as said v4 is far from that. we will still remain random isolated islands getting burned by bold statements and useless stuff.

i also think that a simple library with actionable content could get us there. pp.org in it’s early stage follows this idea. but also here, sadly and to our surprise ‘sharing’ goes here only as far as it doesn’t create competition; that applies to user success stories (a few) and those behind the buttons. but of course, pp.com would never link it, like many other useful and important resources …

as said, to create full employment; you have to think and start from scratch completely. the PP machines don’get you anywhere, building and selling them neither. copying the idea and build pro kits maybe, with big invests and sacrifices. that’s why looking for industrial partners (we’ve got a few) and develop with and for them a sustainable activity is the last real way out IMO.

I think for anyone considering an unsubsidized works space, Precious Plastic provides a collection of top level design descriptions for machines somewhere in between proof of concept and prototype in terms of development. They also provide a Bazar for low volume retailing of products (does not state what the view traffic is). That’s it as far as I can tell. Dave Hakkens also generously provides this forum where an interested community may be able to help fill in the gaps. I think anyone investing money and time will need to generate a business plan that does not expect anything more from PP other than this initial seed information.  Looking at the V4 plan and the Project Kamp activity, the business plan should not anticipate or plan on any additional information in the future. If something shows up that’s great but that’s not what a business plan is.

let me finish our detailed report on the Project itself in the next weeks. We have quite a big load of details; it had to be worked out anyways; especially in regard of this topic here.

yeah, that makes sense if we’d have at least some little evidence that it is easy like that – especially looking the competences of the deciding parties over the people’s and project’s destiny – then we’re we all good; I can tell you, everything which could go wrong with this kind of project; went wrong and THEY are not going to change a damn bit about. For that they lacking any experience to handle the project right. Instead we see exactly a copy and all it’s failures of centralised power, coming with abuse and interest driven decisions. I can see that in every little corner of the project.

now people get told on the front page : set up your workspace, build the machines (for 180 Euro a shredder, lol ) pick up funds and start fight plastic pollution and sell it in the bazar… sorry, it’s f** joke looking at the reality; i have infrastructure in place search the hole internet for prove.

btw, i’ve done all your recommendations. do you honestly suggest that putting 16 hours a day to plunge out some ridiculous objects and put it the on the bazar is any helpful or viable ? did you actually know what’s the turn around of the most here ? did you actually know how hard it is to develop a product with mostly no support or capital ? people are all stuck with the same kind of stuff as said; and there is ZERO safety and support for any of them;

All this suggestions sound great but i know for sure; this works only for a 1% here; and all of them have no financial, health or other securities or a stable future. Suggesting otherwise is fatal …

I can tell you too; we **HAD **the more profitable activity – it wasn’t plastic of course – it was machines and I can tell you; it was a black hole 12 months ago.

dude, I am long enough around, with customers, investors, contributors, partners to tell you : PP is doomed in their hands and so serious people keep laughing at PP.
Please recon 2 audiences here : DIYers and those who try to implement it for real and the latter has little to nothing to get PP out of the garage;

It’s not for me to comment on your relationships with other parties, just like it’s not for you to comment on my skills or background. But I am suggesting that a decentralized movement will be much more robust, reduce conflict and allow individuals to focus on getting the job done.

I agree that the community needs to be able to control it’s own web presence, but there’s nothing to stop anyone setting up their own website and negotiating a co-operation.

Clearly people are getting worked up and distracted, which is why I would encourage people to focus on the job in hand with their own projects. With regard to getting funding and support, as the original thread suggests there is definite potential to get help from existing companies, grants and other sources, but there are challenges in demonstrating the viability of individual projects in order to negotiate funding. This is why I am advocating a conventional small business model, self-sourcing of funding and investment for each project, an element of market research, testing etc and driven by financially rewarding participants and investors rather than relying on their goodwill (and ability to not fall out with each other).

of course not; I am speaking about the Project PP, Eindhoven unfortunately keeps all locked up and make their most profits from the community efforts. Looking at your proposal I am not entire sure you have enough skills and background on the subject but I appreciate the efforts. All the steps you’ve mentioned sound great but I can tell; there isn’t anything like this; not even remotely and that’s why we keep pushing for handing over the main page and project back to where it belongs : the community. Eventually you have a look at other projects; there is transparency, there is democracy and sharing benefits are often the key pillars. As it is now and where it’s going we’re just keeping biting on what Mattia and a few other key players like in Eindhoven, anything else is refused, blocked, etc… it’s really sad to see PP ruined by those kind of individuals; mostly lacking of competence and skills in this regards; hell, i can’t even find any decency after all what happened; they deleted even damage reports and there wasn’t even the slightest courtesy to apologise nor help to get over the damages we received.

@pex12 In my opinion it is not the responsibility of Eindhoven to support individual projects, and attempting to do so would only ever lead to conflict. I think it is better if individual projects source their own funding and resources. Although it is challenging, the process of doing so helps to shape each project and to ensure commitment from it’s participants. If financial support were ever to be a possibility, I would imagine it could only be delivered to projects which have already demonstrated some success anyway.
It’s great that some individual projects are getting exposure through the PP site and I believe this will continue. In the mean time, my approach would be:

1. Have a good idea of a product to make from recycled plastics, and establish the valid need/purpose for it
2. Research existing industrial production methods
3. Develop an appropriate DIY method for your product
4. Manufacture the product
5. Sell the product via the PP Bazar
6. Share your experiences and methods developed via the forums
7. Use profits to recompense your time (pay yourself as an employee), and invest further into your product

This approach avoids all the political conflict you seem to be experiencing.

@timberstar, i wish it would be so easy; the community delivered enough crucial input, machines; urgent changes to do on the public website; but EVERYTHING has been ignored; nothing ever changed…. please don’t get me started on this; how can that be that project resources are spent to get a 300 Kg table to a rap star in LA ? … i can tell you, i am not the only one who thinks that many resources are wasted and the project got lost in too many directions; I am not exactly happy they used our donations and bazar fees to knock us down, destroy our brand in the worst time, 3 people out of job by abusing private messages from a year ago without any consensus from anyone and put it on the large TV. That just shows the arrogance toward the community and key contributors; and that is just the tip of the iceberg. that makes only sense if you’re private enterprise and you can only allow your content, your ideas, …  If Eindhoven acts so low, then yes; us as investors, contributors, we are very concerned about the politics and decision making in Eindhoven.

anyways, let’s get back on track  :

1. talk with the industry
2. see what can be done by the PP community, network, contacts, talents and resources
3. select projects, talents and support them
4. copy & paste the success anywhere else
————————————————————
all this of course needs visibility and support by the PP main page; a few forum posts won’t help at all.

@pex12 I don’t know or really care about the politics with PP Eindhoven, I see no reason why anyone should feel constrained by them, or any other part of the movement. In my opinion we should be grateful that they have given us all so much to get started ourselves independently, and even to make money, and so now it’s up to us to do that. I’m suggesting the best way is to start as a more-or-less conventional business, making things and selling them. Instead of looking for support from Eindhoven or anywhere else we should be figuring out how to do it on our own. And when the raw material is free there are really no excuses, we just need extremely good product ideas which add actual value to discarded plastic. That is the real challenge.

@timberstar I just saw your post after i wrote mine. I can’t agree more. I was actually quite pushy toward PP Eindhoven to establish at least a legal status quo; gather funds and distribute resources back to the community (projects, talents…); that usually ended nowhere. Anyway, at the end we decided to just do it; producing (eat your own dog food) machines but also invest (a lot) in development. From what i leaned most : patreon, donations is not a base to actually do something. It needs horrendous resources to put people to work out recycle kits, establish connections with the recycling industry, etc… There is no good way you do this as foundation or similar. We had also plans to support financially people in regions with the most need but we’ve got stopped halfway through but evtl. we can proceed at some point in Sept. Currently it’s hard to say what the magic v4 can really provide, other than more machines. I know for sure it’s not enabling better networking; business directories, promoting ideas, crowd funded changes, bounties, free exchange/trade, etc…  so we’re pretty much on our own, unless PP Eindhoven gives up the idea to be the goal keeper and with that, the biggest bottleneck of the entire project.

we have lots of travels in the next 3 months, through entire Spain, Portugal as well France. For those who don’t know : Spain and Catalonia provides a big chunk of food to entire Europe; not just this, the western EU is outsourcing there their dirty GMO production as well – despite it’s banned in the rest of the EU. I can add more information if you like.

However, as mentioned, we have some contacts to smaller but international businesses here in Catalonia. Many of them get acquired by french companies recently, especially natural water; not sure that this means.

So if anyone of you has recommendation on how to make an interview with them in regard of packaging and plastic, please let me know how such first questionnaire could look like.  Til now I often hear people only speaking and partly blaming the package industry. I think last year the UK announced to get rid of all ‘avoidable plastic’, until 2033. That’s must be a joke but pretty much gives some hints that something is terribly wrong. That could mean that the gov. are unable to push changes fast because companies can’t or don’t want change. No idea; I am sure there are also large scale commissions working on solutions but that’s just guessing. Before we didn’t actually ask what can be done and what the problems regarding packaging for small business is, we shouldn’t hurry too much on the ‘recycle’ train. Eventually there can be things done or at least tried already soon. I see more outcome for changing the packaging and product landscape than doing ‘perfect recycling’ or beach cleanups

Anyhow; i am sure the few here who can say something can evtl. help on this experiment.

as @s2019 already mentioned, the PP platform and crowd could be used for something like this.

Thanks in advance;
kind regards
g

The financial side of operating a plastic recycling enterprise is still difficult for me to figure out too. On one hand, we are trying to address a problem of waste, and on the other hand we are trying to make money by selling our products. There is a philosophical conflict between the two ideas, some people even feel that it’s not right to benefit personally from recycling plastic. This is understandable perhaps, since most people at this stage are engaging in this voluntarily and all profits go back into making machines.
However I feel that this mindset will be the biggest limiting factor to success in addressing the plastic problem. If people are unable to gain financially from the activity, the only ones who can afford to give their time to it are the (relatively) rich. Therefore I think it is vital that plastic recycling initiatives are treated as small enterprises rather than loosely organized voluntary activities. Using the structure of a company, even if it is a not-for-profit company, ensures a robust business strategy which seeks to deliver financial return to reward participants and to develop further. It should also help to focus manufacturing principles towards creating products which are actually useful and in demand, rather than simply more useless plastic objects.
By forming a small company, we can then engage with other local and existing companies on the same platform and format, and interactions such as inter-business loans, investment or support are much more straightforward.
And it shouldn’t be too difficult, we are talking about setting up a manufacturing process which uses a raw material which is free. 100% added value. We all share the same environmental ideals, but I strongly feel that only the potential for financial reward for participants will enable this movement to survive and grow in the long term, and I think we can only achieve that if we focus on discarded plastic as a huge opportunity, rather than a problem. Then we can see that way to interact with ‘Industry’ is to recognize and accept that we are part of it, and arrange ourselves accordingly.