Health & Safety

Heating certain types of plastics release fumes that can be carcinogenic.

It would be good to clearly highlight what types of plastics those might be, and which ones are the ‘safer’ ones to work with

Surface, very early on, and clearly, the possible health implications of working with fine pieces of plastic and fumes. It will be very good to also state some basic requirements to cover when trying to set up a workshop – such as good ventilation.

I would love to explore this topic more! We have a few guidelines and a few brief tips but it can always be better!

Anyone interested in helping out here in making a proper document about dangerous and safety? Very useful for the rest of the world that wants to get started with plastic!

Either way, good luck @frizzler and let me know if I can help with something!

PET is very safe too. But the big advantage of PET is that you, by chemical depolimerization, can rebuild the structure and the material will became as new.

Of course you can reprocess as the other one using these machines

How about PET? Because I think recycling PET bottles will probably be one of the most popular raw materials for these machines.

Usually the monomers are the problem. So recycling isn’t very dangerous. The biggest problem is burn yourself.

A problematic polymer is PVC that can liberate HCl.

Safe: PS, PP, PE.

As mainly made of C and H. the reaction will produce CO2 and H20.