Human Powered Shredder Prototype

Hello all!

I’ve been working on adapting the shredder to run with human power… it has proven unsuccessful thus far but this is only the first edition.

This video skims through the process I went through in trying to adapt Dave’s shredder design. Using the pulley’s has proven unsuccessful… My next step is to try a chain and sprocket system.
I hope my failures can help others out there…

Peace!

hey, great video!!!, id love a work shop like that to experiment.

might i suggest some ideas that you could experiment with as ive wanted to try human power as an option, but i don’t have the machinery to always make what i want,

i like the weighted fly wheel, i think thats a must, the heavier the better when in motion,
the chain and sprocket system sounds good if you reduce it massively, which would likely require several axles mounted on bearings to transfer the power, fair play if you have the means to do so,

what ive wanted to do is use the Planetary gearbox from my garden mulcher in the same context, with a heavy fly wheel and a strong bicycle to transfer the power.

?

de lujo me da mucha alegria saber q somos algunos los q nos preocupamos por hacer de este mundo un sitio mejor gracias.

Hi any news?
What are the last story of this beautiful shredder?
Thanks for the update
@timslab
DiB

Awesome, please keep us posted

Thanks @javierrivera. Yes, I’m now building a version with chain and sprocket. The flywheel was only useful as a lever in the end.

Hey Tim, @timslab
nice attempt with a lot of work into it!

Another option to avoid slip of the belt is to use a timing belt but it would also require a big sprocket or many axles.

Also i’d suggest that the flywheel should be in the hand crank, so that it’s spinning on the fast side of the contraption, not on the slow/high torque side. The usefulness of the flywheel shines with a weight (and it’s distribution in the wheel) and speed 😉

Cheers

@timslab thanks, yeh i might end up doing that, as they dont cost much,
the gears are all metal, needs to be with the power output

Thanks @katharinaelleke @kettlekekkers, feel very fortunate to have these facilities at my disposal.
@kettlekekkers I’ve seen your shredder and it looks like functions well! perhaps if/when you decide to get rid of the motor, you could salvage just the gear system and mount the driving side to a flywheel and crank/bicycle. Do you know how much that system reduces the load? Are they nylon gears out of interest?

Very cool @timslab, thanks for sharing!
I will also start working on a human/bicycle driven version of the plastic shredder and this is a great input for that 🙂

Looking forward to seeing some updates of your progress!