Ideas for weaving plastic

I’ve been making plastic “string” out of soda bottle and I recently weaved it into a little 1″(2.5cm) square. It turned out to be a really nice material. However, I don’t know how I would make it on a larger scale like 12″(30.5cm). I used tape for the small square, but that’d be a bit more wasteful on a larger scale. I was thinking about maybe a clamp or maybe a series of small hooks.

The “string” is 1/4″(.63cm) and very thin. I’d love some ideas on this, Thanks.

Do you have an image of what you are doing? I would like to see it before I even try to give suggestions.

I’ve heard of people using ‘string’ made from plastic grocery bags and crocheting it into sleeping mats for the homeless. I can also see this being used similarly but more durable. Also there is potential for tarps, tents, and greenhouse siding.

Here is some russian-speaking video with ideas how to knit belts from PET. it is quiet informative and understandable, even if you are not russian speaking. try another vids on his channel.

I’ve thought about weaving a shape onto wood and using a heatgun to set. This thread has some good advice on working with PET:
http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/working-with-pet-bottles/

@snowpoff,

The idea is to use lots of smaller components on a flexible basis, but they have to be relatively rigid.

@jegor-m Probably wouldn’t set it with heat if you want to make flexible parts. When it sets it becomes much more rigid.

So, @snowpoff, you’re saying, that one day, I could make a Batman costume / Armour using this technique.

Just imagine how awesome that would be!!))

I’ve soaked the square in hot water. This allowed the plastic to soften and set the plastic to the weave. This widened the gaps allowing water to pass through but overall strengthening the weave and giving it a better texture.

First I’ll make a continuous spool of the material by melting the pieces end to end.

I’d look into Navajo looms for a simple device for weaving.
Loom principle
To finish the edges you can clamp them(or bolt them) between two pieces of wood and melt the edge with heat gun( could an iron over nonstick backing paper work as well?).

Another thing to try is to put two of this on top of each other offsetting the holes and melt them together. It’ll make a waterproof sheet(or panel.)
This can be used as bladders to store water…
Or cover greenhouses.
Do it over corrugated iron and you will have corrugated sheets for roofing and sidings for sheds, workplaces etc.

I’m very keen on this material. Let me know how it goes.

The square and the string. Cm is the little numbers