Excited to be done with the mechanical work. Along the way, I built a few variations that may be helpful to others.
- Created a hopper funnel out of HVAC duct pipe (since I didn’t want to risk distortion by welding more mounts to the the barrel). Wear thick gloves when working with this tinny material since edges are sharp until you fold them over. I also added aluminum tape just to be safe.
- To mount the thermo-couples (TC), I used a 1.5 inch length of square tube, but split it in two U-shaped parts. Then drilled each and tapped for the TC. I filed and sanded the pipe so that it had a level landing surface for each TC. Then I mounted the U-shaped pieces to the barrel using hose clamps. Finally, I screwed in the TCs with a bit of thermal compound on the ends. The U-shaped mounts keep the TCs centered nicely over the pipe.
- Added a pedestal for support to the floor. See photo.
Time to work on the electrical controller now…