Injection Version 2.0

Version 1 of the injection machine worked quite solid. Things we want to improve is making them easier to customize. Like currently we press the plastic manual by using your weight. But we like to keep options open if people want to press in other ways, for instance with air pressure. So we will slice the machine into different compartments making this easy to update or change in the future. First option we want to try is a pressing system which works with rotation. Below a shot of the first 3D drawing.

First prototype for the new pressing mechanism, made of old bicycles.

Still buggy, but works good so far.

Cool project! Machines seems perfect for that. Drawings are almost ready… simultaneously working on the instruction videos and new website, so takes a bit. Everything should be ready soon though!

Hi Dave and Team,

I’m on the hunt for a suitable machine shop/makers space here in Sydney that will let us use their equipment to build this beauty. Are there the completed drawings of V2.0 online yet?

We want to take it on a trailer around remote Australia to mould glasses frames from waste and make people’s prescriptions on the spot, doing a glasses for waste trade off. Could be a lot of fun!
Cheers,
Jack

Final drawing of the injection machine V2.0 made by @keesdeligt. (This is the most basic version, you can modify and use others pressing mechanism.) Next steps; blueprints, instruction manuals, bill of materials etc

is plunger side travel and binding a problem you are trying to overcome?

yep

In V1.0 you say plastic production time 3-6 minutes, is this the time the plastic takes to heat between cycles? I’m hoping for 30 seconds.

Yes, it takes about 5 minutes. But we are not aiming for speed. We are not going/trying to beat the industry with their 4 seconds per product. We feel a part of making plastic precious is putting more care in the product, don’t rush. However there are ways to speeds it up. Use isolation around heating elements or a different material for the barrel. This will speed up the heating.

Have you found a good diameter of nozzle hole to ease injection but also to avoid leakage when not injecting?

Depends on the type of plastic and temperature.

I like the simplicity of the Tecka Rebuild, scissor jacks are very easy to find & cheap, check it out:

Nice machine!

Not sure if get your idea @winbidtm . Perhaps you could add a sketch?

Hi Dave and Kees,

I notice the injection cylinder continues above the point where the plastic enters, is this a design consideration to keep the plunger traveling straight? I see in your latest manual machine an updated linkage design, is plunger side travel and binding a problem you are trying to overcome?

In V1.0 you say plastic production time 3-6 minutes, is this the time the plastic takes to heat between cycles? I’m hoping for 30 seconds. Have you noticed heat soak to the frame near the cylinder? Have you considered a large piece of aluminium for the injection cylinder for better thermal mass and heat transfer? Perhaps the plunger side travel would wear the aluminium too fast? The cylinder could be thermally insulated from the rest of the machine and the air.

Have you found a good diameter of nozzle hole to ease injection but also to avoid leakage when not injecting?

I like the simplicity of the Tecka Rebuild, scissor jacks are very easy to find & cheap, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxEhQsTNB0 I wonder about the potential of the scissor jack with a good turning wheel or clutched electric motor such as hand drill or rattle gun / impact driver?

Good luck with this new manual machine I like the look of it, It’s good that you continue to consider how easy the machine is to build. I had an idea for increased force, obviously you could make the lever longer but if you get the angle right you could add a seat to the end of the lever so the user pulls the lever down like normal for a start, then once the seat is close enough they can sit on it like a seesaw, adding their full body weight without straining their muscles for the final “packing” of the plastic in the mould. Alternatively if the lever is too high to add a seat a foot stirrup could be hung from the lever and the user steps up into it. Crazy idea?

We made an injection machine with a ‘turning press mechanism’ a while ago.(video here) Works great. However it’s quite complex to make this yourself. We also need a very simple easy to build version. So building it!

Today I delivered the A final Injection machine (The one with the Bicycle donor) at the ‘OntdekFabriek’ in Eindhoven :).
http://www.ontdekfabriek.nl
[

](http://www.deontdekfabriek.nl/)

The injector with the bicycle parts is finished, so time to start with a other option.
The main part arrived yesterday by mail 🙂 a 40mm*540mm cylinder.

I keep you posted if it works ………

Finished assembling and hooked up the electronics today :).
It worked on the first test.
Could use some fine-tuning on the temp. controllers and clean up the wiring.
Next step, a good nozzle to fit the moulds and make protection covers for heaters and sprockets.
And… clean up my well organized and tidy workspace 😉

Turning the prototype into a final, solid, better build version.