Metric to American standard

I can’t tell you how annoyed I am that my country, USA, has not gone to the metric scale. I’m trying to find the right sized metal sheets equivalent to the 3,5, and 6mm to laser cut my shredder parts out of, but nobody in the US cuts sheets in mm; they use some sort of weird gauge system. Has anybody done some of the math converting required to make a shredder using the standard, non-metric, scale? I have access to a laser cutting table, but no correct sized metal to cut! 🙁

I appreciate everyone’s suggestions. I have a few family member that are engineers that I’ll have to enlist to help me with this. I’m trying to make all of the parts to the shredder so everything needs to line up perfectly. The only way to really do that is to think of the ratios the parts would be from metric to American standard. This my be tricky, but I’m confident I’ll be able to do it. When I do I’ll be sure to post what Americans will need in order to build a shredder using American standard metals that they can find at their local recycling center or metal shop. But if you find anything, please let me know.

Hi,
use the Tube frame from this post, 🙂new files
That would be the easiest I guess.
Clamp the fixed knifes together and cut the tube that length. The fixed knifes should be clamped between the side plates.
Choose your gauge as close to the mm sizes as you can.
You don’t want to make the space between rotating and fixed knifes any smaller than the metric version. Could work better, but to difficult to adjust and assemble imho.
According the gauge table I googled that would be for Stainless Steel. (different gauges for other materials LOL 😉 )
6mm would be Ss. Gauge 4 = 5.954
5mm would be Ss. Gauge 7 = 4.763
This will give you a little more clearance than in the metric version.
Be sure to debur your lasered parts….

Change the length of the Hex. on the shaft so the fixed knifes are clamped a little as well.

Feel free to use the 1 inch hex shaft DXF files for the knifes as well