Mods to make machines safer meet OHS

Hello.
I talked with Ken Sulman of Tassie who modified the shredder (taller hopper, kill switch, etc) to make it safer. He  I’ve also chatted with Monash Uni.

I am new to the PP community so will be grateful to be pointed to a thread that addresses and ideally has the plans to build each machine modified with Occ Health Safety in mind.  We aspire to have a PP facility on our school campus.

Many thanks,
Laura

Hi Laura,

We are building the shredder for commercial sale here in Darwin and the higher hopper and kill switch are very important, we are also adding some safety/warning signage.

I would prefer that, then at least you have someone to verify what you are doing and maybe ask some questions.

I contacted Standards Australia when we first started this project and they just directed me to the above standard. The standard is great in a lot of ways for assessing and minimising risk and defining procedures and policies but it is not really what I was hoping for.

I have even spoken with consumer affairs who handle complaints when products fail (thinking maybe they must map products against something?) but no luck there either.

@morethantencents I prefer that 😉
Here in Europe you would need to validate your product by an independant and certified organisme. A licensed electrician would not be enough. And then, whenever you change the slightest detail, you would need to re-certify it again.

@sonik I have edited my previous comment to remove the confusion, I hope this now makes more sense to you 🙂

@sonik that is not actually what I said…

I am very aware of OHS requirements in a workplace setting, as are the fabricators and engineer I have working on the shredders and this is why we have added the modifications I mentioned in my post and are looking at further modifications in future batches. (Also, all our machines are tested and electrically tagged by a licensed electrician before shipping.)

To inform these design changes we drew on the Australian Standard AS/NZS 4024.1201:2014: Safety of machinery – General principles for design – Risk assessment and risk reduction but this is not a system of compliance it is a guide.

I make no secret that we are a work in progress and I sincerely hope we never stop trying to improve both our design and our practices but it would be a little easier if there were some system of compliance (like an ISO standard) that we could map our machines against.

@morethantencents You are building shredders, you sell them and you have no idea about safety regulations ???

I forgot to add, one of the hopper designs we are still considering for our next batch has a bend in it which means the blades can’t be reached from the top of the hopper.

The issue of the spinning axle is another safety concern we address with a simple cover.