Paperwork, Safety, Help Here

I live on the boarder of two states in Australia, nsw and vic. Certain states will have some subtle differences in structure when it comes to regulations . The easiest way go into one of their offices, they will be more than happy to help. What follows is just a few options to start together with your team. Emergency procedures. Ensure your entire team knows what to do in every different type of emergency. Have designated escape routes posted by entries and exits. Emergency assembly point. Gathering point so all staff can be accounted for. Emergency signal. Air horns are cheap and you can source refillable ones . This brings me to M.S.D.S (Material Safety Data Sheets ) Make a note of every chemical or hazardous substance. HAZARDOUS meaning in this case will the smoke produced from this item on fire be toxic . Most msds can be obtained from the company you purchased it from or the company that made it.
So when you have all of your material safety data sheets these must be kept at all access points to your PROPERTY. Not necessarily the building you are in. Store in a large enough water tight container.Clearly labeled. The first point of contact emergency services look for are the msds of your business, this allows them much faster response time to formulate an action plan. Once all personal are accounted for. Employee induction, show new people what you do about safety and see if they can help improve it. Encourage them to approach you if unsure about anything without reprocussion . The only stupid question is the one that doesn’t get asked .
Training levels achieved, knowing what people are capable of doing because of education and training  may just save a life.
The last thing I’ll touch on in this post is J.S.A and S.W.M.S ( Job safety analysis and Safe work method statements ) Basically these are similar but one implies that you understand the risks involved before starting work. Where as the other will break down any process you use in any part of your business to its most simple steps identifying hazards and risks associated, along with solutions for dealing with identified hazards or risks.
Can be a bit daunting so if unsure or just need clarification or help I’ll do what I can.
Just ask that question.

Hey Tim !

First of all thanks for all the intel you input here ! It’s very interesting to read, and though i’m not an Aussie citizen, i do have a question for you :

“Most msds can be obtained from the company you purchased it from or the company that made it.”

What products are you referring to ? The different types of plastic which are to be processed through recycling or all the different materials which are 24/7 in the space of work ?
i’m sorry to bother with such a question but often adjuvants are added in the plastic products in order to get specific properties… (but then, those adjuvants are never specified…) so how would you file the msds in that sense ?

Peace
Nick

In the link above I think it touches broadly on this, explaining that the list of chemical additives in any given product doesn’t have to be majorly extensive. Mainly because plastics are already toxic when burnt, so the use of a hazardous material suit would be a given.  But I can totally see where you are coming from. Maybe it’ll be up to our community to leed the way, with a world wide registry of plastic additives and a simple stamp system to identify them. I’ll be adding uv stabiliser to my products and want to ensure that the next person knows what they are dealing with.

Thanks for your response but i still do have a question; how would you be able to say which or what adjuvant(s) would be present in plastic you were to recycle ? (since it is NEVER mentionned)
Or maybe wouldn’t you go as deep in the specifications ?

Peace

[https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sds

](https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sds)Here is a link to an in depth explanation, including how to formulate msds. or sds as we’ve started calling them. Check first your own countries regulatory authorities, but if they are not as comprehensive, put in that little bit more information. There is not a country on the planet that has this perfect, yet. Even mine. where we fall down is that we only make a few key people in our business’s responsible , safety works when everyone is involved. Gaining different perspectives will ultimately evolve the process much quicker.

I’ve had much experience with occupational health and safety and will share as much as I can so we can all get home to our families at the end of the day.
I’ll post some general msds, jsa and swms.
Just to give an idea where to start. I received an email from a company that my partner works for recently and the safety slogan at the bottom reads ” safety, it’s what we do when you are not looking “

Pleased to help and never a bother. Basically any synthetic man made items that you may have lying around from cleaning products to oils or lubricants. Looking at this very simply a main register of anything that could be dangerous when not in its intended state of rest. For example if you have some fertilizer in your business its ok just sitting there but in a fire the oxidizing chemicals in the fertilizer will make the fire burn faster and bigger because those agent’s feed the fire o2, quicker than the atmosphere surrounding the fire can do it naturally. If getting fire extinguishers for your business ensure to get powder type that will extinguish all types of fires. Hang so easily accessible and clearly marked. Anyone in countries that don’t have regulatory bodies for this kind of safety can use this model, anything can be replaced except your worker’s and friends. As for plastics don’t really have to go into detail just list the types on your msds. Any more questions please feel free to ask.