Waterjet Cutting for Shredder

Hello! I first heard about this project a few weeks ago and I have been completely enamored by it ever since. I’m not at all ‘handy’, but after watching all of Dave’s videos, I feel like I should be able to take on this project with the help of my more-skilled friends and this forum.

I’m most interested in cleaning up my community, but I like the idea of turning trash into a valuable resource. My plan was to build the shredder first and then consider the other components after that.

I have friends that can help with every aspect of building the shredder, except for the laser cutting of the shredder components. I reached out to a local business that can accommodate this work (I’m in Seattle, Washington) and was relatively shocked when I got the quote from them.

They’re saying that it will be $803.62 to fabricate the parts!

That seems extraordinarily high, but I’m new to this field of work. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be able to find this work cheaper? Does anyone have a better contact in the US (specifically, the west coast) that could accomplish this for cheaper?

I was expecting $300 or less. Maybe I’m mistaken. If this is an accurate assessment, I’ll have to indefinitely postpone this project. Any advice?

$733 is way too high. There are several group purchase threads who can get you down to a $300-$400 before shipping.

@chriskudla Good point on the rust on the regular steel, I have also gathered quote from different companies from crazy amounts like $2,000 to the cheapest $1,050.

I am in for the group buy, can you contact the company back and ask them for a quote for 10 shredder to see how much the price drop. Im from North Jersey shot me an email andreaparcana@gmail.com

It looks like the design in Mexico is using plain steel, but I could be wrong. I’ve sent them an email to confirm. This would make a big difference in cost but would also rust over time which would contaminate the plastic.

Chris

Thanks Lucas I think that will be the most cost effective no matter what, even if I end up modifying it once it gets here. I’ll send an email to Precious Plastics Mexico as well.

Chris

Just looking around is the best way to go. If you’re willing to wait Precious plastic Mexico will make the parts for $216+shipping and for me that ended up being about $360
Link: http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/precious-plastic-mexico/
Or you could throw your name in a group buy like this: http://onearmy.world/community/forums/topic/anybody-interested-in-a-professional-machine-builder/

12/01/2017 AT 13:47
Hey Chris, I’m also trying to source the shredder parts and was just quoted $650 to have them laser cut. That’s way too high for me too. I’m in upstate New York and will check a few other places to see what I can get the price down to if the quantities are doubled or tripled. Would you be interested if I can get it down to $300-$400 per person?

Chris

Hey Chris, I’m also trying to source the shredder parts and was just quoted $650 to have them laser cut. That’s way too high for me too. I’m in upstate New York and will check a few other places to see what I can get the price down to if the quantities are doubled or tripled. Would you be interested if I can get it down to $300-$400 per person?

Chris

Can you give me a link? That’s way better!